Re: Uploaded rpm 2.5.1-2.1 (source arm) to mastermind

Turbo Fredriksson <turbo@tripnet.se> writes:

> [1  <text/plain; US-ASCII (7bit)>]
> apharris@burrito.onshore.com (Adam P. Harris) wrote:
>
> > turbo@tripnet.se writes:
> > > Changes:
> > >  rpm (2.5.1-2.1) unstable; urgency=low
> > >  .
> > >    * Non-maintainer upload.
> > >      config.{guess|sub} changed to recognize a Arm architecture.
> >
> > Is this modification available somewhere, so I can ensure my config.*
> > files work on ARM, and help you guys out so you don't have to do all
> > these NMUs ?
>
> 'Coming to a Bug Tracking System near you'... :)

I'll file some bugs against autoconf and libtool asking that they be
updated.  There is a new upstream libtool available, so I'm guessing that
it probably already has the updated config.{guess|sub} .

This isn't going to be completely sufficient of course, because
config.{guess|sub} are shipped with the source code for each package.

Maybe it would make sense to put Per Bothner's config.{guess|sub}
files in a separate package, which automake, autoconf and libtool
could depend upon?  I'll suggest this in the bug reports.

> > Have you talked to the upstream autoconf maintainer to get this change
> > folded in?
>
> I don't know really... We have to ask the person I see as the coordinator for
> the porting effort, Mr. Jim Pick. I don't know if he's officially the coordinator,
> but... :)
>
> Jim?

Here I am!

It's probably best to let it to the Debian maintainer for autoconf
talk to the upstream autoconf maintainer.  I suspect the next release
of autoconf would have the updated config.{guess|sub} anyways.  I
doubt that they'd make an autoconf 2.13 just to update those files,
otherwise they would have done it by now.  Autoconf 2.12 was released
Nov 26, 1996.

And remember, "uname -m" might be returning something other than
"sa110" fairly soon (depending on what Russell King decides).

Cheers,

 - Jim