Re: NMU

Jim Pick <jim@jimpick.com> wrote:

> Turbo Fredriksson <turbo@tripnet.se> writes:
>
> > How do I do a NMU?
>
> >From the "Debian Developer's Reference"
> <http://www.debian.org/doc/packaging-manuals/developers-reference/> :

[...]

> I hope that helps...

Nope! Not a bit! I hardly understood anything. It wasn't the language, I'm
quite secure in my English, it's just 'legal' (or formal) English I'm having
a bit of a problem with (might be an 'anti-feeling' against formal and legal
text in general... :).

> we'll need to do a lot of this.

In that case, I better make darn sure that I understand. This is how I
understood it, correct me if I'm wrong here.

	1. Version number increase. If the old version was '1.12-2', _MY_
	   version should be '1.12-2.1'.

	   Quote: add a new compnent to the debian-revision component of the
	   version number--that is, the portion after the (last) hyphen.

	2. Send the maintainer _AND_ the BTS, a unified context diff of the
	   changes _I_ have made. This diff should _ONLY_ contain the
	   differences between the maintainers files, and those that _I_
	   have changed, not the regular diff that dpkg-buildpackage creates.

	3. If the changes fixes a known (and reported) bug, do _NOT_ close
	   the bug report, but instead send a note, describing them fixed in
	   an NMU, and let the maintainer officialy fix the problem (with or
	   without my fixes) and to close the bug report.

	4. Add an entry in the changelog file, saying that this is an NMU,
	   and what fixes/changes have been made.

Question.

	1. How do I build the package?

	   dpkg-buildpackage		=> Nope. This tries to sign the
					   changes and the source with the
					   maintainers keys, which I naturaly
					   dont have (and shouldn't :)
	   dpkg-buildpackage -uc -us	=> Same thing, eventhough acording to
					   the manual, it should work.

					   -us           unsigned source
					   -uc           unsigned changes

 Turbo     __ _     Debian GNU     Unix _IS_ user friendly - it's just
 ^^^^^    / /(_)_ __  _   ___  __  selective about who its friends are
         / / | | '_ \| | | \ \/ /          papadoc.nocrew.org
  _ /// / /__| | | | | |_| |>  <  Turbo Fredriksson    turbo@tripnet.se
  \\\/  \____/_|_| |_|\__,_/_/\_\ Surrey/B.C./Canada      (604)572-3523
Debian Certified Linux Developer  PGP#788CD1A9   www5.tripnet.se/~turbo
------- PGP:  B7 92 93 0E 06 94 D6 22  98 1F 0B 5B FE 33 A1 0B --------
--
KGB genetic counter-intelligence North Korea CIA DES Noriega SDI
Serbian domestic disruption terrorist cryptographic nuclear Honduras