Discouraging report from the front

Received my replacement NW a little over an hour ago thanks to polite
and helpful service at Corel Computer.

On initial boot, noticed there was no sound/welcome msg.

At login, was unable to enter 'root' (or anything else) from keyboard.

Unplugged kb and connected it to a Linux Intel machine. The CC
KeyTronic kb worked fine with the other machine.

Unable to log in, I was unable to halt.

Pressed reset.

This time I got the sound/welcome msg.

The kb lights flashed briefly.

At login prompt, tried entering 'root'. Nothing displayed. Kb appears
dead as before. No lights on or flashing on kb.

Ck the kb plug/socket again to make sure they are solidly
connected; they are.

(No visible pin in the 11 o'clock position on the NetWinder's kb jack,
the one just counter-clockwise from the key; is that okay?)

It has been on about 20 minutes now. Notice a slight hot or burning
smell from NW.  Lose signal to monitor.

Unplug NW.

Plug it in again. Nothing. No sound, no video. Only the fan works.

This unit is a replacement of my first unit which was up for about 8
hours or so before it stopped as I mentioned in a msg to this list then.

Disappointed, I decide to join Igor Grobman and give up on the NW,
albeit for different reasons, namely, both NetWinders that I received
didn't work.  I was hoping to put my machine on the net for others to
work with, if there were a need. But back to Linux on Intel for now. I
will check out CC again in October. Maybe the NW HW will be stable by
then. In the meantime, I must ask for a refund.

Jon

--
Jon Babcock <jon@kanji.com>