Re: Got my NetWinder

Allan Anderson <cerebus@amer.net> writes:

> Jim Pick wrote:
>  When
> > I get some time, I'll set up my own Debian chroot environment on it.
>
> I notice quite a few packages seem to be built and working (with the
> major missing pieces from a Debian development environment being X and
> egcs).  I guess that it's time for me to set up my own chroot'd area on
> /dev/hda4.  Any hints as to how to get started on this?  I guess that I
> should look into the x86 install scripts.

Here's what I wrote to someone else:

I'd suggest only setting it up in chroot environment at this stage.
Nobody has tried to replace the Corel-supplied Red Hat stuff on the
primary partition yet.

Here's what to do, roughly:

 1) There are two primary sources of packages:

    ftp://ftp.debian.org/pub/debian/dists/sid/main/binary-arm/

    (These are the .deb files that we have finished with and officially
     uploaded to Debian)

    ftp://ftp.jimpick.com/pub/debian/netwinder/debs/dists/gandalf-local/main/

    (These are the .deb files that haven't been officially release yet, and
     are just for local use)

 2) You'll need to get a copy of the "dpkg-deb" binary.  You can extract
    it from the dpkg .deb in the base section by using the standard Unix
    tools (ar first, then tar/gzip).

 3) Use "dpkg-deb -x <package>.deb /mnt/chroot"

    to unpack whatever files you think you need to get a minimal chroot
    environment set up in /mnt/chroot.  You'll probably want most of the
    packages from the base section (dpkg, bash, libc, etc.) plus you
    will probably need some other

 4) "cd /mnt/chroot; chroot ."

    That's how you log into the chroot area.

 5) Then you will want to use "dpkg -i" to install the packages again
    properly, so the dpkg database in /var/lib/dpkg has a record of them
    being installed.  You will need to use "dpkg -i --force-depends" on
    a number of packages.

As you can tell, this is still pretty crude.  We should have something
better in the next few weeks, I hope.

Cheers,

 - Jim