Re: Missing insmod-a.out

    David> Being in the midst of a nasty cold, I forgot all about
    David> Jim's warnings regarding the new init, and hosed my system.
    David> Luckily, I was able to get things goign again, by looking
    David> at the list archives, but, I did have to copy my 'insmod'
    David> over from the corel partition to serve as in
    David> 'insmod-a.out'.

'insmod' is part of 'modutils'.  It should not get replaced by
installing sysvinit; however the script /etc/init.d/rcS would.

If you previously had installed 'modutils-2.1.121' (i.e. getting an
ELF-based '/sbin/insmod), you had probably also inserted a line
in rcS similar to:
	/sbin/insmod.aout -f /lib/modules/misc/fpem.o

This line would be taken away after reinstalling sysvinit, and would
have to be reinserted.  Chances are that after you now got 'insmod'
from the Corel distribution again, you may have both /sbin/insmod.aout
and /sbin/insmod-a.out on your system. :-)

However, if you install the new 2.0.35 kernel, you do not need this
module.  Indeed, in my /etc/init.d/rcS, I have:

    if [ "`uname -r`" = "2.0.31" ]; then
       /sbin/insmod.aout -f /lib/modules/misc/fpem.o
    fi

Furthermore, you can get and (re)install:
    ftp://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/dists/sid/main/binary-arm/base/bash_2.01.1-3.2.deb

Keep in mind that the one that was on Jim's root image before was bash
version 1.something, from Corel's redhat distribution.  That's because
Debian's bash was depending on an FPU in the system, and there was a
catch 22 trying to load the FPU emulator without a working shell.
With the newest 2.0.35, FPU emulation is built into the kernel, and
Debian's bash can again be used.

Then, because Debian's bash is (unlike RedHat's) an ELF executable,
you can optionally rebuild the 2.0.35 kernel with a.out support built
as a module, instead of statically into the kernel.

Of course, this will all have to be redone once Jim's new versioned
libc is available.

-tor