egcs

Hi,

I uploaded a new glibc yesterday (built from Corel's Aug. 6 sources).

I did build a new gcc (from Corel's Aug. 18 sources) - but I haven't
released it yet.  Part of the problem is that /usr/lib/gcc-lib/include
contains a bunch of "fixed up" header files that the gcc 2.8.1 build
process generates.  These override the other header files on the
system.  We've had a lot of problems with the current gcc, because I
when I built it, we had an older environment, so a lot of the header
files in /usr/lib/gcc-lib/include are out-of-date.

I wanted to rebuild libstdc++ first, since that was the only remaining
Corel supplied package left.  For the other Debian architectures,
libstdc++ is built from the egcs source.  I tried building a libstdc++
from the GNU tarball of libstdc++, and it built OK, but I couldn't get
it to work.

I'm going to try a different plan of attack now, because Philip
Blundell has released a patch to egcs for ARM that theoretically
includes the Corel changes.  So I'm going to try to build the patched
egcs (using the existing Debian packaging), which will give us gcc,
libstdc++, and a bunch of other packages.

If that works, I'll try building glibc from the upstream glibc CVS,
because Philip has folded in the ARM changes there as well.
Hopefully, we'll be able to have a glibc that builds with "versioning"
turned on, which we apparently really want.

If I can get egcs and glibc built, our port will be very similar to
the other Debian ports.

Cheers,

 - Jim