Re: Passing LDFLAGS to Apache modules for hardened build flags

On 14.04.2012 16:42, Moritz Mühlenhoff wrote:
> I can rebuild the Apache modules in the archive with test builds if that
> helps.

I committed a fix to apxs in our VCS yesterday [1]. This will allow you
to override LDFLAGS just like it is possible for CFLAGS. Moreover, this
change automatically injects hardening flags through apxs if the Apache2
server was built itself with it.

Consider this behavior highly experimental and not widely tested. It is
probably included in our next upload to experimental and/or unstable
unless I find problems with it.

This only affects modules built against Apache 2.4 in experimental which
we plan to release with Wheezy. This means there aren't too many where
you could see this behavior already [2].

Let me know if that helps you, as that will mean all Apache modules in
Wheezy (i.e. _after_ the transition) will be built by default with
hardening flags unless the maintainer opted out by overriding
CFLAGS/CPPFLAGS/LDFLAGS through apxs explicitly.

[1]
http://anonscm.debian.org/gitweb/?p=pkg-apache/apache2.git;a=shortlog;h=refs/heads/next
n.b.: Apache 2.4 is in the next branch
[2]