why MaxRequestsPerChild is defaulted to 0 in apache2 prefork default conf?

In the prefork module, the MaxRequestsPerChild defaults to 0. I wonder why such thing is done. The only reason to do so is to increase performance with heavy loads but it carries a problem with it. If the process start leaking for whatever reason, it will drag the server until it runs out of memory and you can't even log in...

It does not look like a sane default from my point of view...

greets!
aL