Re: libapr1 dependency

On 10/14/2010 01:05 PM, Jordon Bedwell wrote:
On Thu, 2010-10-14 at 12:42 +0200, Massimo Manghi wrote:
Hi,

in the process of adjusting my Debian package for libapache2-mod-rivet
I've been suggested by one the mentors to remove libapr1 from the
Depends field. Clearly Rivet needs apache2 and apache2-mpm-prefork, but
these packages don't triggers the install of libapr1 following their
dependencies tree. Have to keep in the Depends field in debian/control?

thanks for your help

   -- Massimo Manghi
It should trigger the depends (since it is a dependency of prefork) even
down the ladder.  Unless I am getting this wrong and you might have
stumbled upon a bug.  Can you elaborate better?

Hi Gordon

My fault, apache2-mpm-prefork triggers apache2.2-common which installs apache2-utils. The latter triggers libapr1.

The problem has to do more with my (still) vast ignorance in the Debian packaging tools. I'm going to write the following line as Build-Depends for the package:

Build-Depends: tcl8.5-dev, apache2-prefork-dev, debhelper (>= 7.0.50~)

dh_makeshlibs and dh_shlibdeps should be able to automatically determine the dependencies for the binary package, provided Depends lists the variable
${shlibs:Depends}. The binary package Depend looks like this now

Depends: ${shlibs:Depends}, ${misc:Depends},  itcl3

I'm expecting the build system to determine from apache2-prefork-dev that the binary has to depend on apache2.2-common and apache2-mpm-prefork.

Do these dependencies look correct or reasonable?

 -- Massimo