How to turn off index listing

On a fresh installation of apache2 (2.0.55-4), I installed mediawiki1.5.
I'm now unable to turn off index listing.

In http://httpd.apache.org/docs/1.3/mod/core.html I read,
**

***
*

*Note that the default Apache access for <Directory /> is Allow from
All. This means that Apache will serve any file mapped from an URL. It
is recommended that you change this with a block such as*

 <Directory />
     Order Deny,Allow
     Deny from All
 </Directory>

*and then override this for directories you /want/ accessible.
*

*I add this to my /etc/apache2/apache.conf file and restart apache2, but
it has no effect.
*

*How do I turn off directory listing? I've spent several hours trying --
there's some option somewhere I'm not seeing.
*

*Dave
*

*