Re: Perhaps 'wwwdata' instead of 'www-data' as 'Apache-user'?

Zbigniew Baniewski wrote:
> Hallo,
>
> I'm writing to you, because I've noticed, that in Debian there is used
> "www-data" as the name of the "Apache user". I'd suggest to change the name
> to "wwwdata". Why? Because PostgreSQL server - used at many WWW sites
> instead of MySQL - doesn't allow to use the dash in usernames, and because
> of this one can't execute neither 'adduser' nor any 'GRANT' using 'www-data'
> as parameter.
>
> After every Apache packet upgrade there's a need to change the name from
> 'www-data' to some different one, without a dash. So, why not to solve
> the problem once for always?

You can use www-data, you just have to quote it:

grant all on blah to "www-data"; (IIRC)  In any case, it's definitely
possible on any sort of modern Postgresql system.

--
David N. Welton
- http://www.dedasys.com/davidw/

Linux, Open Source Consulting