Re: Regarding ASF Bugzilla Bug 35555 and Debian Apache package

Nicklas Bondesson wrote:

> I just want to make sure that nothing hinders this submition (licence
> etc.).

Debian's general take on patching upstream packages is to license it under
"the same license as upstream, whatever that may be", specifically to make
it easier to get patches accepted upstream, so we can stop maintaining
them.

While I'm not sure who was responsible for this specific patch, as a
Debian Apache maintainer, and I can be fairly sure that no one intended to
license it incompatibly (as was suggested in the bug, where someone
surmised that it was probably GPL... Not sure where they'd get that idea
from).

All of THAT aside, so little code is changed, and it's mostle just
shuffling header includes, I'd question if the patch was even
copyrightable in the first place.

We've submitted many patches upstream in the past, and will continue to do
so in the future.  If this one slipped through the cracks, it's only
because it was so small and insignificant, not because of the license.  By
all means, take it, give it a new home in ASF SVN, let us stop carrying it
around in our package.

... Adam