conf.d or sites-enabled?

Hi,

I was configuring apache (which I have little knowledge of) and I
noticed some of the basic configuration is in sites-enabled/default.

I have no current plans to use Virtual Hosts, so I was wondering if
there would be any downside to moving the stuff in
sites-enables/default to conf.d, which seems like the obvious place
for it to go.

Any suggestions about what to call the relevant file in that case?

Will it make things more difficult if at some later date I decide to
use Virtual Hosts?

Would I need to use Virtual Hosts if I want to use different ports for
some reason?

Thanks in advance. Please cc me on any reply; I'm not subscribed.

                                                           Faheem.