Apache2 error with ssl and php4

I am trying to configure apache2 for a Debian distribution and having trouble getting ssl and php4 to work. If the loadmodule statement is included for either of these two modules I get an error like below:

Syntax error on line 1 of /etc/apache2/mods-enabled/ssl.load:
Cannot load /usr/lib/apache2/modules/mod_ssl.so into server: /usr/lib/apache2/modules/mod_ssl.so: undefined symbol: SSL_get_error

I get the same error if I do 'apache2ctl configtest'

The apache2 version that I am using is 2.0.54 and it is the package that is currently being used for 'stable' and 'testing'. I have downloaded the source from the apache site and built, but I get the same result. I have also downloaded the debian package source and built it, and again get the same result.

I have also tried to build with mod-ssl as a static module, so that the apache2/httpd executable will load the libssl library. This doesn't work either.

When I built apache with static mod-ssl, and did not include mod-php4, the server would load and lsof shows that the apache2 binary has the libssl library open. Since the SSL_get_error api comes out of libssl, I thought that the static version should solve this issue. It doesn't, apache still complains that the api is unresolved when starting up.

Does anyone have any suggestions? Is there something I can try to find out what is going wrong?

Thanks for your time,

-Craig