Re: Question about maintaining the unofficial/parallel apache-lingerd package.

On Fri, 19 Nov 2004, Alexis Sukrieh wrote:

> I'm maintaining an unofficial package, apache-lingerd [1].
> It's a new flavour of the official Debian apache source tree.

it's been more than 4 years since i last had to remember all the details
surrounding linger... but the main reason apache does linger the way it
does is because that is the only portable solution -- SO_LINGER was broken
almost everywhere at the time.

i'm pretty sure SO_LINGER works in linux kernels as of at least 2.4... and
there's also the linux-specific TCP_LINGER2 (see tcp(7)).

is it possible that you could use either of these to get the same
performance benefit in a manner that could just be part of the standard
deb apache-1.3 package?

-dean