apache-ssl understands no MIME? (Shows only HTML docs)

I am running a Woody-based server that nonetheless has lots of
backported packages (as you would expect).  I just set up apache-ssl
to complement an existing apache installation.  It works as far as
opening SSL connections, but weirdly can only display HTML documents.
Anything else (images, PHP files) is either shown as a broken link
icon or offered as a download.  Exactly the same tree of files,
viewed through apache, displays and functions perfectly.  The
apache-ssl httpd.conf seems to be identical to the one for apache,
making it really confusing.

Versions:

Apache 1.3.29.0.2-3woody4
Apache-ssl 1.3.29.0.2-3woody4
Mime-support 3.18-1.3

The only obviously relevant line from /etc/apache-ssl/httpd.conf is

TypesConfig /etc/mime.types

I'll be very happy to pass along any other information that would be
helpful in debugging this, but I frankly admit to being mystified.

Please reply only to the list, I do read it and don't need
duplicates.

Thanks for your attention.
--
Carl Fink             carl@fink.to