Re: How can ISP connect my computer to net?

Tollef Fog Heen wrote:

* Michael
| Can anybody point me in the right direction?  Even keywords would be
| helpful.  Is this a DNS issue?  a router issue?  or something else
| entirely?

unless you are NAT-ed, you should just be able to point a domain name
at your public IP address and access that name.  If you are NAT-ed,
the box with your public IP needs to forward either all packets or
just packets destined for port 80 to your computer.
Actually, I think I've found the info on the web. NAT was a help, when I googled /NAT DNS/. It looks to me like they need to set iptables on their Redhat box,
to redirect the information to my computer.

Probably it's going to have to involve a MANGLE / FORWARD combination,
probably something on the order of (c style)

if(user.foo.lt) {
if (port 80 | port 8000) MANGLE -FORWARD 10.10.10.42
else RETURN;
}
ACCEPT

I guess that means I have to figure out NAT and IPTables next.
Not a small job, but now at least I have a starting point. In the
process, I also stumbled upon something very interesting:
the Linux virtual server.

Please correct me if you know that I'm on completely the wrong
track, but aside from that I think I figured it out from your post.

If that box runs
its own web server already, the easiest is probably to have it as a
proxy, that is, it proxies requests to your computer from the world.