Re: PHP4 for Apache2: when ?

Xavier Maillard wrote:
Hello,

I know this has already been discussed here and there but I really want
to know why Debian doesn't provide PHP4 for Apache2.

In fact I am in a desperate need of it for my personnal use and also
for my work.

It took me a while to get used to this schema that Debian uses, but it is far better to maintain than other distributions that I have tried.

Stable means just that. it works. Don't knock it. It's not advertised as the latest pop-culture craze software on the block. It's advertised as the software that will get the job done.

If you need/want to get the features of Apache2 and PHP4 then look for them in the -testing and -unstable trees, but do not expect them to be flawless.

I would strongly recommend that you consider looking into creating apt_preferences files to manage your server to keep everything in stable and only move apache and php into the -testing branch to complete what you are trying to do.

However, I would even more strongly recommend that you sit tight with Apache-1 and let the bugs get worked out of the Apache2 platform. They have a better probability of getting security bugs because of a newer code base (unless they've made major security related changes, I don't know) and it might be best to allow others to locate and manage those problems so you don't have to.

You have options and choices on your apache version you wish to use. This is something I like, you get to make up your own mind.

--
Kites rise highest against the wind -- not with it.
		-- Winston Churchill