Re: web access lost after moving outside of firewall

On Thu, 5 Jun 2003, Thom May wrote:

> * Richard Cochinos (richard@theory.org) wrote :
> >
> > Hello -
> >
> > This is a newbie question.
> >
> > I was running apache off of my IP from behind a firewall (a router set up
> > with port forwarding). I was running into problems connecting to certain
> > ports (22,25) and so I placed the server on the static IP only and have
> > been running the LAN (router and all connected computers) on a different
> > IP (I have 5).
> >
> > The DNS for the server has not changed, and I can ping it just fine.
> >
> > Moving it outside of the router firewall has cleared up ssh and mail
> > problems however if you enter the URL in a browser it just times out.  ANy
> > ideas as to where the problem might be?
> >
> what listen directives do you have set for apache?
> also, if you telnet to port 80 on localhost on the server, do you get a
> response?

yes, it open and responding. I was told my problem is because I was still
on the LAN that I couldn't tunnel out and then back in again. The server is
on a seperate IP# than the router  (where all other computers are) but
they share the same gateway.

Is there a way to remedy this? I cannot place the server behind the router
because it has port forwarding problems. And I don't have a second
ethernet card to put in the server to have everyone go through it(nor do I
like that idea very much)

I realize this is more of a networking question now and not really apache,
so I will not post to this list again. However if you have an answer for
me please email my privately.

Cheers,
-richard