Re: Conglomerating Apache* packages

Hi all,

Thom May schrieb:
> The apache maintainance team was talking this morning about a way of
> synchronising the various apache packages, since currently apache is being
> kept out of testing because -perl and -ssl haven't been rebuilt using the
> new tarball - and we haven't notified you guys that there is a new tarball.
> It seems to us that the most efficient way of proceeding would be to merge
> all the apache packages into one big source package, and build all three
> versions of apache in one go.

I made this proposal myself sometime ago. So I go with it.

> To that end, would you guys be amenable to joining us in maintaining the
> packages? Or in allowing us to take over the maintainance of your package?
> (We'd prefer the former, both of you know far more about the packaging and
> use of your respective packages than we do!)

I already put debian-apache@list into the maintainer field of apache-ssl
on Sat, 16 Feb 2002 as we had a consensus then. We introduced the list
for that purpose. I must admit that I did not look into that list for
some time. But it would be ok for me if the team would take over the
maintainance. And I could try to help with the team.

But we could do some more integration. The apache-ssl feature for some
time now works also as a loadable module like mod-ssl. For this to work
you only need some minimal patches to the apache binary. At the moment
you are able to load either apache-ssl or mod-ssl as a module into the
apache-ssl binary which comes with the apache-ssl package.

Christoph

Christoph Martin, EDV der Verwaltung, Uni-Mainz, Germany
 Internet-Mail:  Christoph.Martin@Uni-Mainz.DE
  Telefon: +49-6131-3926337
      Fax: +49-6131-3922856