Virtual index of subdirectory redirected to localhost?

I've set up an Apache server, which is working fine in almost every respect.
However, one of my colleagues set up a subdirectory, /var/www/staff, and in
that directory has a single file, index.html.

If you type the URL

	http://sitename.ext/staff

into a browser, instead of properly opening

	http://www.sitename.ext/staff/index.html

it opens (and this is really weird),

	http://127.0.0.1/staff

... which of course in general doesn't exist.  If you type the URL complete
with "index.html" it works fine.

I've looked through httpd.conf and seen nothing relevant to my untrained
eye.

I'm running a plain-vanilla Woody server (Athlon), Apache 1.3.26-0woody3.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.
--
Carl Fink		carlf@dm.net