Mod_throttle - is this really what I need?

My aim is to limit the bandwith of the users accessing my apache web
server. According to the descriptions I figured out, that mod_throttle is
the tool I need. So I've read some papers, and tried to set it up. Here is
the lines important from this point of view from my apache config:
LoadModule throttle_module /usr/lib/apache/1.3/mod_throttle.so

# Throttle
<IfModule mod_throttle.c>
    ThrottleMaxDelay 10
    ThrottlePolicy None
    <Location /throttle-status>
        SetHandler throttle-status
    </Location>
</IfModule>

<Directory /var/www/throttle>
     ThrottlePolicy Speed 50 1
</Directory>

The result. Throttle-status reflects the config I set up correctly. But
When I download a big file from the /throttle directory, it comes down
with 120 to 600 kbytes/sec depending on the actual network usage between
the two places. After it the directory becomes unavaiable for a long time.
Holy Apache! What did I miss? I set 50 kbytes/sec. It doesn't take effect
for the first connection and after it makes the directory unavail? How
does it makes sense?I've tried different policies (Original, Speed, Volume), and also tried
ThrottleClientIP with the same results.
Has anyone managed to do this for his/her first connecion?
What did I do wrong? Did I miss an important option
(EnableThrottleFromTheVeryBeginning)? I wanted traffic shapeing.Is this module really for bandwidth limiting? Because if it behaves
correctly as I see, I can say, that this is only a request delayer, not a
throttler.Is there an apache module for this purpose (limit a directory to 50
kbytes/sec)? I'm sticked to debian.
LimitIPConn works fine, although.

Thank you 4 your help,
Dw.