Trying Apache2 and Cocoon2, freedom etc.

Dear all,

I'm quite newbie on most topics, Linux, Debian, and the details of the
Apache server, but I have a quite good grasp of many W3C specs and also
of processeses involving getting non-hackers to voluntarily edit a web
site, still maintaining good markup.

I've been looking into getting Apache2 and Cocoon2 for a project I'm
launching. For the next few weeks, it'll be a test box, and then, it'll
be in a semi-production situation. Being a community site, I'm sure it
will be stable enough if I can get it running, they will understand if
it isn't up at all times).

Free as in speech is an important issue to me, so I'm concerned about
the contrib status of some these packages: Cocoon2 and Tomcat is
contrib because jdk1.1 is non-free, right? Isn't it at least in
principle possible to work around jdk by e.g. compiling the stuff with
gcj? I would not want to make my server depend on non-free software,
but if it is possible to work around it at some stage, it isn't too
bad.

Well, the essense is really that I'd like to try it out, if it is not
forever-non-free, but I do not feel quite up to par on the technical
stuff. For one thing, if I remove apache (1), I don't want Mailman to
go with it, and I was hoping it won't take a big effort to get the
cocoon2 packages working on top of the apache2 package.

So, any advices on how I can get cocoon2 to work on top of apache2, and
also how I can get the mailman package to work on apache2 will be
greatly appreciated. I will of course contribute to the project by
reporting my experiences back here.

Best,

Kjetil
--