sane packaging of separate apache iteration

hello, hope this is the correct place to ask this..

I am working on packaging freeside, a web-based isp administration
system. One issue I've encountered is that the web interface (using
either HTML::Mason or Apache::ASP) must be run as the freeside user,
and thus a separate iteration of apache. What is the sanest method
of handling this in debian? The upstream author suggested prompting
the user for an ip address and port number and creating the apache
config files and init script from that.. But that doesn't seem like
the most elegant solution.
It would be nice to get something ironed out in policy for this as
I can't imagine this is the only package in this situation.

Regards,
David