Debian Project elects Stefano Zacchiroli as next Project Leader

The Debian Project                                http://www.debian.org/
Debian Project elects next Project Leader              press@debian.org
April 16th, 2010               http://www.debian.org/News/2010/20100416

Debian Project elects Stefano Zacchiroli as next Project Leader

In accordance with its constitution[0] the Debian Project has elected
Stefano Zacchiroli as Debian project leader for the 2010/2011 term.
Stefano has been a Debian Developer since March 2001 and is a long-term
contributor to several core services such as Debian's Package Tracking
System and its Quality Assurance Team. Upon his election win he said: "I
can't be more proud of being a member of the Debian project.  The number
of developers which took part in our democratic election process -- as
candidates, voters, and campaigning participants -- makes me really
happy.  I'm also a bit scared now, rest assured that I'll do my best to
be up to the expectations of all Debian contributors."

The outgoing project leader, Steve McIntyre, was first elected in 2008.
After serving for two years, Steve chose not to run for a third term.
Steve congratulates Stefano: "I've had a great time working for Debian
as DPL and I'm more than happy to be handing over the reigns to Stefano.
He has excellent ideas and should do a good job for us." The Debian
project would also like to thank Steve for his great work and constant
commitment to the project.

The candidates for this year's election were Stefano Zacchiroli, Wouter
Verhelst, Charles Plessy and Margarita Manterola. After a six week
election period the Debian project chose  Stefano Zacchiroli to be its
next project leader.

Debian uses the Condorcet voting method for project leader elections.
The detailed election results can be found at the voting page[1].

About Debian
------------

Debian GNU/Linux is a free operating system, developed by more than a
thousand volunteers from all over the world, who collaborate via the
Internet.  Debian's dedication to Free Software, its non-profit nature,
and its open development model make it unique among GNU/Linux
distributions.

The Debian project's key strengths are its volunteer base, its
dedication to the Debian Social Contract, and its commitment to provide
the best operating system possible.

Contact Information

For further information, please send email to the Debian Press Team
<press@debian.org> or visit the Debian homepage at
<http://www.debian.org/>.

[0] http://www.debian.org/devel/constitution
[1] http://www.debian.org/vote/2010/vote_001