Debian Incorporation Completed

Software in the Public Interest, Debian's parent organization, is now a
non-profit corporation under the laws of New York State. Many thanks are
due to Tim Sailer, our Treasurer, and Frank Marotta, our attorney, for
their work on incorporation.

Tim and Frank will now petition the United States Internal Revenue Service
to grant us 501(c)3 tax-exempt non-profit status. When completed, this will
allow donations to Debian to be deductable for those who file U.S. federal
tax returns. We expect to expend $1500 to $2000 in legal fees on this
process, which is more than we currently have in our treasury. Please see
our Donations web page at http://www.debian.org/donations.html . If you
have questions about Debian's finances, please direct them to Tim at
<tps@buoy.com> .

	Many Thanks

	Bruce Perens
	Debian Project Leader