building platform-tools without splitting out dependencies (e.g. boringssl)

Hey rosh,

Thanks for all your ongoing work with the Android Tools packages! I wanted to ask you something about the *-platform-tools package. After years of trying to split out upstream source repos into Debian packages, Chirayu led the charge on a new approach of building based on how upstream does it, with statically linking in all the dependencies. Although this sucks compared to how Debian manages dependencies, it has proven to be a ton of work to do things differently with the Android Tools packages. Other packages with builds like this, Chromium for example, now also do this. Otherwise, we can't keep up with updates from upstream.

So we recently saw that you split out the boringssl dependency from the -platform-tools package. boringssl is a classic example of why we have to build like upstream does. boringssl does not have releases at all. Projects that use boringssl pin to a specific commit, and all new work is just merged to the main branch. That means that sharing boringssl binaries between projects could break things, since the projects could require different commits of boringssl.

.hc

--
PGP fingerprint: EE66 20C7 136B 0D2C 456C  0A4D E9E2 8DEA 00AA 5556
https://pgp.mit.edu/pks/lookup?op=vindex&search=0xE9E28DEA00AA5556