Suggestions for improvements for the Team Maintained Packages

Hey,

Here are a couple of things we can do to ease our work and automate things:

 1. Using meta-build maintained by Ruby-team:

      Debian Ruby team maintains a set of scripts that helps testing reverse dependencies of packages when updating an existing package in addition to running the clean build with suild and autopkgtest with lxc. It runs autopkgtest for all reverse dependencies and rebuilds all reverse build dependencies.[1]

 2. Using routine-update maintained by Science-team:

     The routine-update is a shell script, and the package is maintained by Debian Science Team. The script automatically checks for various lintian warnings and errors, check for updates. And fixes it. It would be effective to use, hence it automates the work.[2]

 3. Enabling CI :

     A couple of months earlier, utkarsh2102, suggested on the ruby-team to enable salsa.ci in all the packages for providing continuous integration. We can add salsa-pipeline as CI ensures that every package accomplishes the minimum quality to be in the archive.[3]

4. Enabling autopkgtest

      "autopkgtest runs each test supplied by a particular package and reports the results."

 There are most of the packages in our android-tools teams that lack the autopkgtest test suite. We should try to enable autopkgtest, if someone is refining(Fixing Errors and Warnings) the package or updating it, we should care to add these tests.

I can give a helping hand in that.

Since, I'm new to the team, it would be great to have a discussion, or if there is any other alternatives for the same.

Are there any other suggestions/opinions?

Thanks and Regards,

Samyak Jain

(samyak-jn)

[1] https://salsa.debian.org/ruby-team/meta