Re: severe bug dpkg following upgrade to buster

Thanks, I set the house in order with much less elegant commands
francesco

On Fri, Nov 30, 2018 at 5:12 PM Lennart Sorensen <lsorense@csclub.uwaterloo.ca> wrote:
On Sat, Nov 24, 2018 at 08:43:29PM +0100, Francesco Pietra wrote:
> Hi
> Following amd64 upgrade from stretch to buster on both a vaio laptop and an
> asus desktop,command <shutdown> disappeared, while a severe bug arose with
> dpkg that breaks upgrade/install
>
> pkg: warning: 'ldconfig' not found in PATH or not executable
> > dpkg: warning: 'start-stop-daemon' not found in PATH or not executable
> > dpkg: error: 2 expected programs not found in PATH or not executable
> > Note: root's PATH should usually contain /usr/local/sbin, /usr/sbin and
> > /sbin
> > E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (2)

How did you become root?

Remember 'su' keeps the environment (including PATH) of current user,
while 'su -' gets the proper environment of the root user (so /sbin and
such is in PATH).

I think sudo already does the right thing.

su without the - is almost always the wrong thing to do.