Fwd: Probmes in running scipy with amd64

All python bugs solved by installing Anaconda2. The drug-hunting software is running in Debian9 (stretch) on Anaconda2 python.

francesco pietra
---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Francesco Pietra <chiendarret@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, Apr 30, 2017 at 3:00 AM
Subject: Probmes in running scipy with amd64
To: amd64 Debian <debian-amd64@lists.debian.org>

Since a few days I am trying to get scipy support to a drug-hunting code. I first used a clean jessie (scipy 14), installing
apt-get install python-numpy python-scipy
whereby, on running the drug hunting code, I got the scipy error:

File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/scipy/optimize/optimize.py", line 17
from future import division, print_function, absolute_import
SyntaxError: future feature print_function is not defined

Then I installed other packages (huge installation), as indicated on the web for getting a working scipy:
apt-get install python-numpy python-scipy python-matplotlib ipython
ipython-notebook python-pandas python-sympy python-nose

(for stretch ipython-notebook was not available, while it was for jessie)
dropping into the same error as above.

I assumed that the available python lacked that function. Therefore, I went to stretch (scipy 18), now getting the error:

File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/scipy/optimize/optimize.py", line 769
with warnings.catch_warnings():
                  ^
SyntaxError: invalid syntax

On these events, I was advised to abandon python as available in debian and installing anaconda python. Such advice seems to imply (although it was not said) that python, or pieces of python, in debian are buggy.
Before following that advice (anaconda python, from its web presentation, seems more a shortcut for those not having root privilege, which is not my case), I am asking about experience in using scipy with debian, and whether there is any trick, or configuration, to be followed in its installation.

Thanks a lot for sharing experience

francesco pietra