How to make systemd minimallly acceptable.

On Tue, Oct 21, 2014 at 12:15:56PM -0700, Ray Andrews wrote:
> On 10/20/2014 05:28 PM, Christopher Browne wrote:
> >

> >While I wasn't keen on Upstart getting chosen, I think the page
> >they prepared
> >describing the merits of moving from SysVInit presents good points well.
> >
> Sure, there is always merit to both sides of an argument.  In the
> process of fighting
> about things, we gradually resort to deeper and sillier caricatures
> of the 'other side'
> and before ya know it, things get stupid.
> >
> >Unfortunately, the current goings-on seem to risk being free of
> >technical content,
> >and fodder for flame warring.
> >
> And that's what should be resisted at all costs.  It must be about merit.
>

> >I guess I find myself displeased with certain technical points
> >(e.g. - claims of 1s boot time, that seem invalidated), but I'm
> >usually finding
> >things working on my systems that have SystemD.  So far, I can't
> >establish, from
> >my own observations, that "different" == "bad".
> >
> Experienced people tend to have a natural gut level distrust of
> anything new-fangled, often
> not without reason.  Still, almost everyone agrees that the old sysV
> needed a brush up,
> so what's next? Surely the best possible thing would be to address
> the problems with 'D'
> without abandoning it altogether? The alternative systems don't seem
> to have any huge
> enthusiasm behind them.  Anyway, I sure hope it  doesn't come down
> to a schism.

To make systemd acceptable to the naysayers, the minimum that will have
to be done is to cut it up into *independent* pieces that relate to the
different services it takes over, so that the sysadmin can decide whoch
services should be done with systemD and whoch by other means.

And most of those services should be able to run without systemd having
to be process 1.

-- hendrik