Re: How many *physical CPU* can Debian-7.7.0-amd64 support?

On Mon, Dec 08, 2014 at 04:25:48PM +0000, Shio Gai Quek wrote:
> Dear All
> Sorry for cross-posting my previous mail.
> I have one question remaining unanswered:
> How many physical CPU can Debian-7.7.0-amd64 support?      (FYI, Win 7 Ultimate supports 2)
> (I know Debian-7.7.0-amd64 supports up to 512 logical CPU (i.e. cores) )

As far as I know linux does not care if they are in 1 chip or 2 or 50.
It just uses the cores that exist.

Windows has odd rules to prevent running a desktop OS on a 4 socket
server board for no good reason.  Those are artificial limitations.
Linux doesn't bother with artificial limits.  Microsoft just wants to
charge you more money if you run on higher end server hardware because
they can.