Re: new software if moving to amd64?

On 10/04/2014 02:45 AM, Michael wrote:

Micha,

Thanks very much for that, it was exactly the sort of grandfatherly advice that I was looking for. It would be nice if there was a Debian doc saying just what you said (not so much 'how' but 'why' to convert to amd64). It does seem that, with 2GB of RAM, there is little reason for me to jump in right now. I think I'll spend my time over the winter digging into zsh. Still, one might wish for some handy-dandy 'converter' script so that, if one was migrating an existing system to a more powerful machine, it could be done withl a minimum of agony.
Our friendly competitor have a not so bad overview for beginners on these pages
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/taking-the-mystery-out-of-64-bit-windows
Superbly written.

Ray