why does upgrading wheezy install systemd?

I noticed something disturbing (to me) with a recent upgrade of wheezy:

for some reason that I do not quite understand, when today I fired up
synaptic on some wheezy machines I administer, updated the list of packages
and clicked on "select updates" and then "apply", not only it updated
libgpgme11 and openssl (expected security updates) but it also asked to
install systemd and the libraries it depends on.

Any clue about why is this happening? What is pulling in systemd? On my
laptop, which runs on sid, I had to bit the bullet and install systemd to
have a fully functional gnome (even if I strongly dislike this whole idea of
"streamlining" a lot of system-critical functionality in a single source
package, so that a single failure/bug might be catastrophic). But why, oh
why should the packaging system urge me to install systemd (not only the
libraries, the init replacement!) on a perfectly working system, on a
routine security update? This does not happen with "aptitude full-upgrade"
on the command line, only with synaptic. To try to find hidden dependencies
on one machine I even accepted to install systemd, and immediately purged it
again immediately afterwards (all with synaptic) and there was no complaint
about broken dependencies / recommends. I am puzzled.

Any suggestions on how I can trace what is trying to pull in systemd (or why
synaptic tries to pull it in, if it depends in synaptic)?

Thanks in advance
Giacomo Mulas

Giacomo Mulas <gmulas@oa-cagliari.inaf.it>

INAF - Osservatorio Astronomico di Cagliari
via della scienza 5 - 09047 Selargius (CA)

tel.   +39 070 71180244
mob. : +39 329  6603810

"When the storms are raging around you, stay right where you are"
                         (Freddy Mercury)