Re: How to get a new palo source package into unstable?

Hi Adrian,

On 01/12/2014 05:32 PM, John Paul Adrian Glaubitz wrote:
> On Sat, Jan 11, 2014 at 10:37:52PM +0100, Helge Deller wrote:
>> as you might have noticed, we did huge progress on the HPPA (PA-RISC) port:
>> http://buildd.debian-ports.org/stats/
>
> Indeed. Congratulations on that! I'm glad to see the HPPA port coming
> back to life. I'd love to test it myself, but the only PA-RISC machine
> that I currently know of which is in my vicinity is located inside a
> laboratory at my physics department and it's still running HP-UX.
> Might be that it gets scrapped soon and replaced with something more
> fancy so that I can get hold of it, who knows ;).

Good thing is, that those machines got pretty cheap now.
A Dualcore-C8000 workstation is available on ebay for < 100 EUR.

>> In order to be able to boot parisc machines, the hppa port needs the "palo" debian package.
>> "PALO" is the "PA-RISC boot loader" and a boot-loader-image generator, similar to
>> "lilo" on i386 or "silo" on sparc.
>
> Or "aboot" on the Alpha machines.
>
>> I've continued to maintain and further develop palo.
>> The new palo git repository is now at:
>> git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/deller/palo.git
>> and the source should compile and run on all plattforms.
>> A simple checkout and dpkg-buildpackage should work.
>
> Thank you very much for doing this (and the hard work of bringing the
> buildds back to life). Even though I currently don't own a PA-RISC
> machine, I'm very glad that someone took care of it, such that owners
> of these machines can still use it with a current Debian release.
>
>> Since I'm not a debian-developer, I don't know how to get this package into debian unstable again.
>> What is the usual process to get a new/old package back into debian unstable?
>> Maybe someone of you who has a debian developer rights is willing to upload the
>> source package?
>
> I'm a Debian Developer with full upload permissions to the archive and
> would absolutely love to help you get the boot loader (and any other
> possibly necessary packages) back into Debian.

Thanks!
AFAIK the bootloader is the only package which is parisc specific.

> The best is to have the package(s) uploaded to Debian Mentors [1] so I
> can grab them from there and review them, send you suggestions on
> improving them and finally upload them.

I uploaded it, and CC'ed you on the request.
http://mentors.debian.net/package/palo
The info at top of the website is the latest package with most warnings fixed.
It would be nice if you could help me (off-list) further on that.

> Plus, it would be nice to have access to a PA-RISC machine myself so I
> can perform a test build and inspect the finished package. Would that
> be possible?

Sure, I'll send you login details off-list.
If other people here on the list want access, please let me know.

> PS: I have noticed that the HPPA builds never include the build log,
>     for example radeontop [2]. Would it be possible to have these
>     enabled as well, so we can easily find out what went wrong when a
>     build failed?

We had problems with sending mails from the buildds when I started the buildds mid december.
Currently we have 5 buildds running:
http://unstable.buildd.net/index-hppa.html
Since around 2-3 weeks, all buildds except mx3210 do send build logs.

I can reschedule a rebuild of radeontop for you, or you can just build it
yourself on the machine for which I send you a login. Just let me know.

Thanks!
Helge