Re: RedHat or Debian amd64

Really the only difference between distributions is their packaging
system, their support infrastructure, their release schedule/policy, and
how up to date the software is and what software they offer packages for.

Thanks.
Now my project at the Italian supercomputer center is going to production. I had no problems with RedHat as far as number crunching is concerned. Now, however, I need to access their Remote Visualization service to deal - also on the X server - with large files. To this end, I need to download software compatible with Debian amd64. The variety of graphic and non-graphic tools that I use is very large. Their 64 bit Linux list (lacking any GNU Linux  for either 64 or 32 bit)

RCM_darwin
RCM ubuntu 12.04
RCM RHL 5.6
RCM openSUSE 11.4 and 12.2

I would appreciate advice as to which RCM will likely work for me. I heard about ubuntu but, to avoid being flooded by messages, i put it in the spam. The advice I can even from the center is very limited as they don't know what I have.

Thanks
francesco pietra

On Wed, Jun 26, 2013 at 6:23 PM, Lennart Sorensen <lsorense@csclub.uwaterloo.ca> wrote:
On Wed, Jun 26, 2013 at 06:11:31PM +0200, Francesco Pietra wrote:
> Hi Lennart:
> I forgot that what is found on supercomputers might result also from what
> you say.
>
> I found it problematic to compile a code for molecular dynamics (MD)
> inclusive of an elaborate plugin. Better, I succeeded when only the
> simplest part of the plugin was implemented, getting a valid MD executable.
> In contrast, implementing the whole plugin resulted in a MD executable that
> fails to recognize the GTX-680cards of my machine. Calls to the forum for
> both the MD code and the plugin had ho answer. Those of the MD code do not
> like the plugin (as they have the simplest part of it already hard coded
> their own way), while those of the plugin do not know that MD code, they
> use another one.
>
> Then, I heard that at the supercomputer center of my country (where I
> should run the project, but I need to go there with a system that "runs")
> even GPU machines run that full plugin. Before asking them how they
> succeeded, I was wondering about the different Linux OSs. I am now curious
> about their answer, if any.

Really the only difference between distributions is their packaging
system, their support infastructure, their release schedule/policy, and
how up to date the software is and what software they offer packages for.