upgrade to jessie from wheezy with cuda problems

Hello:
I decided to try jessie to get PCIe 3.0 with a recent nvidia driver, thus upgrading from wheezy.

wheezy was
uname -r
3.2.0-4-amd64

nvidia-smi
304.88

nvcc --version
4.2

(the latter is also the version at which the molecular dynamics code was compiled, and used without calling the X-server)
********************

Following aptitude update

aptitude-upgrade

a number of dependecies related to gnome were not met (evolution-common lbfolks25 gnome-panel gnome-shell gnome-theme-extras gnome-theme-standard libreoffice-evolution). This notwithstanding, I decided to upgrade.

After rebooting to get linux matching with nvidia:

nvcc --version
  5.0

uname -r
  3.10-3-amd64

nvidia-smi
  the nvidia kernel module has version 304.108 but the nvidia driver component has version 319.60.

Driver 319.6 is just what I wanted. Now, how best fix the problems? Install linux image 3.2?

In the past I tried dist-upgrade, getting into devastating problems.

thanks
francesco pietra

PS I was advised that debian is getting bounces from my address above. If so, please try my institutional address <francesco.pietra@accademialucchese.it>