Re: GCC 4.7 is now the default for x86 architectures

Matthias Klose dixit:

>GCC 4.7 is now the default for x86 architectures for all frontends except the D
>frontends, including KFreeBSD and the Hurd.

How are the plans for other architectures?

The m68k status (which obviously can’t influence the release decisions)
is as follows: gcc-4.7 builds, last time I looked gcj-4.7 didn’t but it
is currently building again (so let’s see whether it does this time);
gcc-4.6 and gnat-4.6 are getting development and bugfixes (I’ve queued
up some patches, but am not entirely ready with all of them, plus some
for binutils and gdb), and I’ve asked for help re. the gcj-4.4/gcj-4.6
recent problems. But nothing has tested gcj-4.7, and I fear of new and
old bugs… so I’d rather not switch default compiler to it anytime soon.

As for gcc-4.7 in general: a friend (authoring an ObjC framework _and_
runtime) told me that it dropped support for an old method of doing
things while not fulfilling the promise to get the new method of doing
it (don’t exactly remember what it was, /msg js on freenode for details)
fixed, with the effect that gobjc-4.7 is virtually useless/broken.

This is hearsay, but ask him for details, and check them against
reality.

bye,
//mirabilos
--
Yay for having to rewrite other people's Bash scripts because bash
suddenly stopped supporting the bash extensions they make use of