Re: Need a html5 browser for squeeze

 Hendrik,
> I did a routine upgrade a few weeks ago, before havein friends over for
> a write-in, only to discover that gnome had become unusable.

Yes, i agree. When using testing, you have to learn a new discipline: Update only when you feel like it ;)
And you can always cancel when package manager indicates problems.

> the evening struggling with the computer, installing kde, instead of
> getting useful work done.

In the past, i had a lot of trouble like this. Then i realized i need only lots of full fledged applications anyway, no desktop notifiers and whatever, and a plain Windowmaker is totally perfect for me. It allows me application launchers on as much workspaces i want. What else should i ever need ?
And i went away from the full desktop environments and am happy now since many years.

But i agree, if you're still on Gnome or KDE you need to be very careful.

> A few days later I migrated to xfce.

Another good choice.

> My wife was happy staying with stable.

And i am happy with the latest video codecs ;) - and firefox 8.

> keeping up with mozilla might have some of the same problems
> all by itself.

I can not remember there was any such problem with Mozilla, in many years. And i'm running unstable on several machines. I think it's only the desktop environments complexity which seem to reach the limit for the Free Software developing process, especially stability maintenance.

They want so much more features all the time. But production users want stability, real apps, and maybe only 10% of the available DE features in total.

But YMMV.

ps. And here is the amd64 list quota content: You get enhanced 64bit support and newer kernel drivers too, of course.