Re: Fastest card for CUDA

On Fri, Jul 29, 2011 at 11:12:41AM +0200, Francesco Pietra wrote:
> I suddenly got the opportunity to change the two GTX-470 on my Gigabyte
> GA-890FXA-UD5/PhenomII-1075T with two faster cards, while sticking to
> gaming hardware for CUDA number crunching (molecular dynamics).
>
> Considering the limits of the motherboard (North bridge AMD890FX,
> South bridge AMD SB850, 2-Way/3-Way ATI CrossFireX), is GTX-580 the
> fastest card that could replace GTX-470?

Yes the 580 is the fastest, unless you consider the gtx590 which is a
dual GPU card, but at a bit lower speed than the 580.  I think you said
earlier that there wasn't much gained having more than two GPUs though,
so a pair of the 580s would be the fastest.

Of course a pair of 580s would use about 180W more than your pair of
460s as far as I can tell.