Re: /bin/sh linked to dash?

Francesco Pietra <chiendarret@gmail.com> writes:

> I wonder whether amd64 wheezy links /bin/sh to dash instead of bash.
>
> I am getting error "Bad fd number, can't run mopac.h" in a mopac.sh
> calculation (mopac compiled fortran, in fact a FOR005 file is
> generated, and not deleted by mopac probably because it was running
> bad).
>
> I am asking that (and thus if a symlink is needed using bash, as in my
> case) because with the same code (and same calculation) I had no such
> error with amd64 lenny. I have just copied the whole
> molecular-mechanics compiled code (which includes mopac among hundreds
> of other codes) from a lenny machine to a wheezy machine. The reason
> of the copy is that the molecular-mechanics code can't be compiled
> with recent gcc/fortran (its loose fortran is not allowed by recent
> compilers) while the wheezy cuda machine is far faster than the old
> cpu machine.
>
> thanks
> francesco pietra

/bin/sh in debian is a posix shell with some tiny extras (echo -n for
example and printf). It can be either dash or bash depening on your
configuration. New installs default to dash, upgrades default to keeping
bash as /bin/sh.

Overall, if mopac.sh needs bash then it must use #!/bin/bash.

MfG
        Goswin