Re: running CUDA cards

On Tue, May 31, 2011 at 05:20:35PM +0200, Francesco Pietra wrote:
> I have just set up a gaming machine with
>
> Gigabyte GA 890FXUD5
> AMD Phenom II 10775T
> 2 x GTX470 GPU cards
> 4 x 4GB RAM
> 2 x 1 Tb HD for RAID1
>
> and need to install amd64 to run molecular dynamics using (free for
> non-commercial use) NAMD software (released binary below or
> compilation from source). All that is experimental, with little
> experience and I have no experience whatsoever with CUDA cards. My
> question is about the version of amd6a to be best used (lenny or
> squeeze) and what should be added to the typical server installation
> according to the requirements:

Lenny will stop having support soon, so absolutely go with squeeze.
The nvidia-glx package in squeeze supports the GTX470 card.  Lenny does
not.  So install squeeze.

To install the driver, add 'contrib non-free' to your lines in
/etc/apt/sources.list then do:

apt-get update
apt-get install nvidia-kernel-dkms
apt-get install nvidia-glx nvidia-glx-dev libcuda1-dev libcuda1

> (1) NVIDIA Linux driver version 195.17 or newer (released Linux
> binaries are built with CUDA 2.3, but can be built with newer versions
> as well).

squeeze has 195.36.31 so that should work.

> (2) libcudart.so.2 included with the binary (the one copied from the
> version of CUDA it was built with) must be in a directory in your
> LD_LIBRARY_PATH before any other libcudart.so libraries. For example:
>
>   setenv LD_LIBRARY_PATH ".:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH"
>   (or LD_LIBRARY_PATH=".:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH"; export LD_LIBRARY_PATH)
>   ./namd2 +idlepoll <configfile>
>   ./charmrun ++local +p4 ./namd2 +idlepoll <configfile>

The libcuda1 package should probably take care of the library I think,
but maybe not.

wheezy has a lot more cuda packages available, and much newer drivers too,
but is of course testing, not stable.