Re: Which 64bit debian version for Intel(R) Core™2 Quad Processor Q8300?

On Fri, May 27, 2011 at 11:39:50PM +0200, Gilles Sadowski wrote:
> Hi.
>
> > Currently i am running windows 7 64 bit on a machine with Intel®
> > Core™2 Quad Processor Q8300
> > (http://ark.intel.com/Product.aspx?id=39107). i would like to install
> > debian. Is the amd64 bit version ok for this processor [...]
>
> Yes.

The only reservation I'd have about that is if you're going to be using
huge programs written in Scheme.  That's pointer-heavy, and will use
about twoce as much RAM to accomplish the same thing in 64-bit more as
32-bit mode.  Unless you have more than about 6gig of RAM, whereupon
64-bit is a win again.

But most users don't do that.

-- hendrik