updating question...

Guys,
Using Wheezy, debian.....

In the past I have always done my updates w.

#aptitude update
#aptitude safe-upgrade
#aptitude autoclean
#updatedb

Everything is working just fine and no problem except the updatedb command. I know it used to actually update the file database and sometimes it actually took some time to do it. And sometimes when I would install a file from outside aptitude I would have to run updatedb to get the system to recognize it. Now when I run updatedb it seem like it is doing nothing. It takes no time at all yet so far am having no recognition problems. Am just wondering if I'm actually doing anything by trying to run it. E.g is it actually updating?

Anyone have any knowledge in this area?
TIA
Whit