Re: Debian desktop support for virtualisation

Well, this is an old document and in general we don't use it any more
because there is the "accepted debian way" to use 32bits programs,
that is with ia32-libs, and in my particular case an old copy of
"ia32-apt-get" (better approach in my opinion) both could achieve the
solution of the second perspective...

iceweasel in a chroot for a 32 bits plugin?...
try ndiswrapper and iceweasel in 64bits...

This is ancient history in amd64 land...
We have stable, complete and working systems nowadays...

wine use ia32-libs to run...

a drive of 32 bits for cups? Ok, run it in a chroot and connect as a
remote server...

I prefer debian I don't even try redhat in years because I don't like
many things about it...
(the old redhat approach is to install both libraries 32bits and
64bits there is the same today?)

On Fri, Jun 25, 2010 at 12:51 PM, kap4lin <kap4lin@gmail.com> wrote:
> 2010/6/24 Jaime Ochoa Malagón <chptma@gmail.com>:
>> Some time ago...
>>
>> http://alioth.debian.org/docman/view.php/30192/21/debian-amd64-howto.html
>>
>> In general there is no need of it any more...
>
> Well, that page was last edited in 2006. So, yes we can all install a
> "native" 64-bit system; but that was not the issue here!
>
> The multi-arch movement is yet to be seen out of the "lab
> environment." It certainly is an idealistic solution; but the reality
> bites! And this is where Debian (and derivatives), I feel, has (have)
> fallen behind. It is amazing to see how RedHat has amalgamated the
> i386 and x86_64 archs. Well, to be fare, they have paid developers and
> much more of a stable system (kernel, libs, etc..) to build upon, ...
> yada, yada, yada, ...
>
> Getting back to the pertinent point: I look at chroot in two ways:
>
> 1. For developers to see if their code compiles in a different
> architecture. These days, vbox or vmware kind of solutions are better
> suited for this, I think.
>
> 2. For "desktop/end" users to use (proprietary) multimedia softwares
> which are only available in 32-bit.
>
> So, from the perspective of 2:
> if it is possible to bind (read-only) /lib (and /usr/lib/ and ...) of
> the host system to (say) (CHROOT_PATH)/host/lib (and /host/usr/lib and
> ...) of the guest; with host's library paths included in the guest's
> ld.conf, then the guest could "in principle" utilize the binaries of
> the host system.
>
> The typical scenario that I have in mind is this: a KDE desktop user
> installs 32-bit iceweasel in chroot to utilize a 32-bit plugin, but
> doesn't want to install the whole KDE in chroot to be able to open a
> pdf file (using okular).
>
> I feel that this 32-bit chroot in a 64-bit machine affects GNOME and
> KDE users _asymmetrically_, but such is life.
>
> I am eager to see how "pain-free" schroot is.
> --
> Regards
> Kap4Lin

Perhaps the depth of love can be calibrated by the number of different
selves that are actively involved in a given relationship.
					Carl Sagan (Contact)

Absolute certainty is a privilege of uneducated minds-and fanatics. It
is, for scientific folk, an unattainable ideal.
					Cassius J. Keyser

					Jaime Ochoa Malagón
					Arquitecto de Soluciones
					Cel: +52 (55) 1021 0774