Re: KVM "storage"

Lennart Sorensen wrote:
On Tue, Mar 30, 2010 at 07:26:29AM -0400, Whit Hansell wrote:
Hey guys,
Am trying to set up KVM on my Lenny AMD64 box and need recommendations from those who have set up KVM regarding storage memory.

Following is my df -h:

Filesystem            Size    Used   Avail   Use%  Mounted on
/dev/sda1             662M  252M  376M   41% /
tmpfs                     1.9G       0      1.9G   0% /lib/init/rw
udev                       10M 1008K   9.1M  10% /dev
tmpfs                     1.9G       0      1.9G    0% /dev/shm
/dev/sda9              216G     51G  155G   25% /home
/dev/sda8              373M    11M  343M     3% /tmp
/dev/sda5                4.6G   3.7G   726M   84% /usr
/dev/sda6                2.8G  393M    2.3G    15% /var

As you can see I have 2.3 G avail. in /var and want to install WXP virtually.
Would also, at a later date, want to possibly play w. Fedora or some other
Linux distro for grins.

What are recommendations for increasing memory in /var or what would
you do in this case.  I have been recommended to even use a symlink from
the storage area to a location where I have sufficient memory as in /home but
am concerned about debian's hierarchical limitations in that.

TIA for any recommendations.

My recommendation is to not make so many partitions if you don't know
the proper amounts to assign to each for your needs.

/var is where databases and other large data ends up after all.

You could put your virtual machines in /home if you want.

Want to thank you, Lennart and Dean Hamstead for replying to my
questions.  It's very much appreciated.  Sorry it's taken me so long to
get back with you but had some problems  I had to attend to and was not
able to get back with you sooner.

As to your recommendation on not making so many partitions, I laugh.  I
used one of the standard recommendations in the install setup assuming
it would work out ok.  Overall it has.  My thinking is that I don't like
single partitions as in Windows and/or the old Lindows(how I started
using Linux-for a year before I broke out to do a Debian install on my
own) setup.  It's just that much less secure.  So have basically taken
the recommendations given by the installer programs when  they give
multiple partitions, again, thinking they know best how much to give
each paartition.  Mostly, they've been pretty good except for this install.

Also, your statement that /var is where large amounts of data end up
basically is good info for me.  I was unaware of that "standard" and am
grateful for the info.  And also grateful to know that I could stick the
"storage" in /home if I wanted to.  I was really concerned w. the Debian
hierarchy rules and didn't want to hose the system or a software install
by putting it in the wrong place.

I also want to thank Carlo Bernini.  He replied personally and mentioned
gparted.

I had wanted to use it because I had had to do so in the past to add
nother 250M to sda1, I think, because I was having update problems
because of lack of space.  I was hesitant because I had forgotten just
how I did it and when I googled tutorials, found I needed a newer
version(highly recommended) w. the kernel I was using and it seemed that
there was a lot more warnings about lost data this time than there had
been before.  But tonight, I backed up a bunch of stuff I really didn't
want to lose and then threw in the new version of the gparted lilve CD
and increased /var by 2G.  It took quite a while and then I had an error
just before it got to moving the unallocated to the /var
subdirectory(sda6) and so saved off the details and started to quit out
of the program but thought what the heck. I've probably already hosed it
up, let's see if  I can salvage  by resetting the "move" of the
unallocated to sda6.  Had to mess with the numbers because for some
reason the system had me moving instead of the 2048M I had tried to do,
it had 2047M in unallocated.  Well, I said to heck with it and put in
the 2048 forced and ran it and it took as far as I can tell.

I have not set up the KVM yet in /var but according to df -h, it all
looks good and the system is running fine so far.   I had to reboot a
couple of times  to clear up some problems that cropped up but it seems
to have ironed itself out.  We will see, I guess.

Anyway, thanks so much guys for your help.  I'll let you know how it
goes w. the install, that is unless my system totally hoses up somehow.  <G>

I love Linux.  It's so forgiving in so many ways and while I'm not
necessarily a noob I still have a lot to learn, but willing.

Thanks again.
Whit