Re: Debian AMD64 resuce disk??

Douglas A. Tutty wrote:
On Fri, Jun 19, 2009 at 10:37:54PM -0400, Whit Hansell wrote:
Thanks Heinz and Fabricio. I do appreciate your help. I have already thanked Thierry and Goswin in emails that I had done just a "reply" to not looking to see that they went not to this list but to their personal addresses.

I am surprised that there are so many live/rescue disks for amd64 only because I had googled trying to find one or more and for some reason, nothing specific to amd64 showed up readily in the results. Or maybe I didn't drill down far 'enuf', I don't know. But thans all. I have pulled down two of them and will do the other two over the weekend and take a look at them. Luckily I've never had to use one yet, other than gparted once, but it's better to have them on hand than need one and not be able to get at it. 8^)

Why is it you need specific to amd64, since amd64 will boot and run
i386?
Doug.
Hi Doug,
Want the amd64 'cuz I'm running an amd64 chip. Had put in a 32 bit INSERT disk and it was very limited as to what it could do. So figure that I'm gonna' need a rescue disk more specific to the processor in this case.

And after I had purchased this hardware, 64 bit AMD chip/mobo, tried to fire up a hard drive w. 32 bit on it and it didn't like what it saw so went full bore 64 Debian Lenny/stable. And it has been a true experience setting it all up compared to the previous setups I've done. Learned a lot the hard way. 8=) Trial and error and RTFM'ing as much as possible.

So far, most of what I've tried has eventually worked.

Thanks,
Whit