Re: OT Kernel debug

A Dilluns 25 Maig 2009, Douglas A. Tutty va escriure:
> On Mon, May 25, 2009 at 08:16:14PM +0200, Leopold Palomo Avellaneda wrote:
> > first of all sorry because the mails is off topic: it's not about the
> > amd64 port of debian. But, I have a problem with a kernel, and maybe some
> > of the clever minds here could help me, because nobody in my LUG have
> > solved it.
> >
> > In one of my servers, running lenny, with a stock xen kernel, the box
> > crashes aleatory. There's an open bug [1]
> >
> > My question is how can I obtain the information from a console when the
> > kernel crash? Because there's nothing on the kern.log, syslog.
>
> The best way is to use a serial console.  Hook up a null-modem serial
> cable from the problem box to a working box.  Run minicom on the working
> box, turn on logging in minicom, boot the problem box and wait for the
> crash.

ok ... I didn't want that solution ... but I'm afraid that it's the only
one ...

> Here's my /boot/grub/menu.lst that shows how to set it up.  Grub will
> start with something like "press a key to continue" so that it knows
> whether you're at the serial console or the main (VGA) console, and
> thend presents the usual menu.

Thanks a lot. Tomorrow I will find a serial cable .... I hope that the
Poweredge server has serial console...

But, if you have serial console, do you have vga?

[...]

> I hope this helps.
Sure!!

thanks a lot.