Re: Disk Controller detected with i686 kernel but not AMD64 kernel

On Tue, May 19, 2009 at 12:11:20PM +0100, Andrew Robert Nicols wrote:
> I'm trying to install Debian Lenny on some Dell R610s but I've been having
> some major issues with the installation when trying to install with an
> AMD64 architecture kernel. I've also tried apt-get installing the amd64
> kernel and selecting it at boot time but the system is unable to find the
> disks then too and halts when trying to start up the software raid on the
> disks.
>
> The system I have is using an LSI Logic SAS1068E PCI-Express RAID
> controller and the controller is correctly detected using the i686 Lenny
> kernel.
>
> I've attached output of lspci -v to this e-mail from the system running
> i686 debian. Getting anything out of the amd64 is a right pain though
> because it seems that various other devices aren't properly being detected.
> For example, I've been unable to get a USB pen drive to be detected and
> thus mounted and I've not been able to get the NIC firmware loaded
> (Broadcom bnx2 firmware required).
> Since I'm unable to get any form of internal or external media mounted and
> the NIC isn't being properly detected, I've got no way of getting output of
> any commands easily off the server except page-by-page over serial.
>
> Has anyone else experience this issue, and are there any workarounds?
>
> I believe that the issue is discussed in two live Debian bugs (#528351 and
> #526525) but there seems to be some disparity over where people believe the
> bug to be.
>
> I've also been having issues with getting the keyboard working during the
> installer and have to use the remove KVM and specify noapic,nolapic as
> kernel options to the installer. Any use of USB keyboard seems to hang the
> system.

Well I have one of those LSI cards in an IBM X3650 running Etch with
amd64 kernel, and it works great for running a tape drive.  I would be
very surprised if it had broken in Lenny.  How odd.  I am of course
using the 2.6.24 etchnhalf kernel to get support for it.

I also use USB keyboard and mouse through a KVM and never had a problem
with that.  Maybe It's just Dell that has a broken BIOS.

I will be going to Lenny on the IBM soon, so I guess I will see how
that goes.