Re: recommended motherboards for build?

On Tue, Jan 13, 2009 at 02:34:27PM +0100, Jochen Schulz wrote:
> Then you definitely don't need a quad core CPU and even if you insist
> you shouldn't use the Q6600.

Yeah something like an E8400 is a nice choice.  TDP of 65W (versus 95 or
105 on the Q6600 or newer quads), and cheap, and 3GHz, which for people
that don't use 4 heavy threads at a time, will work out a lot faster.

I use a Q6600 in a mythtv/fileserver/webserver/everything else I needed
box running linux.

When I built a cad system for my father, I used the E8400 because
solidworks doesn't do that much threading and gains nothing going beyond
2 cores, and 3ghz dual with 1333MT/s bus for less money than a 2.4GHz quad
with a 1066MT/s bus just made more sense.  The fact it runs cooler too
was a bonus.